Back to New Rver Home
Sign up for our free
|Resources and sponsors
Books, videos and other goodies for RVers.
Exciting Jobs for RVers!
Workamper® News has helped more than 60,000 people find great jobs in great places since 1987.
Beginners Guide to RVing
Advice and information for beginning RVers and others thinking of taking up the recreational vehicle lifestyle.
Free RV Camping
FreeCampgrounds.com is a directory of free RV campgrounds in the USA.
Pop Up Trailer Enthusiasts: Pop Up Times is the only magazine serving owners and would-be owners of folding camping trailers. Subscribe today for only $11.98. And check out our new "Pop Up 101" home video".
Inflatable Boats for RVers
Sea Eagle manufacturers easily storable inflatable boats perfect for RVers. When you need the boat, pump 'er up, climb aboard, and off you go.
Dummies Guide to Buying a Used RV
Buying a used RV? Order this downloadable book. Written by a veteran RV service technician. Learn what to look for in a used RV. Read it and help avoid huge repair bills later! "Essential!"
Want your business here? Email for information.
Pop Up Video
Pop Up 101 video
is perfect introduction to
pop up trailers!
Available as a printed book or as an eBook
The ABCs of RVing
Everything You Wanted To Know About RVing But Were Afraid To Ask
When someone new to RVing begins thinking of buying a recreational vehicle and even after they buy one a flood of questions come to mind, some so seemingly basic that the new RVer might wonder who to ask without being embarrassed. Most guides to
RVing overlook the very basic information newbies seek because the authors assume they already know them. But that's seldom true! The fact is, there is an incredible amount to learn!
|Answers the most common questions new RVers ask!
Most of today's veteran RVers learned as they went. There was a time, too, when they didn't know the difference between a black water tank and a grey water tank, a hookup site from a primitive site, how they could run their home appliances on the RVs' 12-volt onboard systems, or that they could claim a tax deduction for the interest paid on their RV loan.
And so, for the RV novices of the world, the editors of NewRVer.com wrote this book the answers to more than 160 of the most common questions beginning RVers ask.
Never before has so much information been compiled in one easy-to-read place, available now as a printed book for only $15.95 or as an instant download for for only $11.95. Every new RVer who reads the ABC's of RVing will become quickly proficient in virtually all areas of RVing, saving them dozens, if not hundreds of hours of researching on their own. Author Chuck Woodbury, the editor of Beginners Guide to RVing, is a nationally known expert on RVing who has written about the RV lifestyle for dozens of newspaper and magazines, served as a spokesperson for the Recreational Vehicle Industry Association, and appeared with his own motorhome on the Today Show, CNN and ABC World News Tonight with Peter Jennings as well as in People Magazine, USA Today and Motorhome.
If you don't agree that the ABC's of RVing is the finest accumulation of answers to beginning RVers questions about RVing ever compiled, just tell us so and we'll refund the purchase price!
Here are some of the more than 200 questions answered in the ABCs of RVing: Everything You Wanted to Know About RVing But Were Afraid To Ask."
- What's the difference between a Class A, Class B and a Class C motorhome?
Buying Your First RV?
|These two home videos explain everything a first time RVer needs to know to operate all the onboard systems of a motorhome, travel trailer or fifth wheeler. Learn more.
- What's a Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer?
- Whats a travel trailer?
- Whats the difference between a travel trailer and a fifth wheel trailer?
- What's a truck camper?
- What is a folding camping trailer?
- How much do RVs cost?
- How are RVs financed?.
- I'm not sure of my credit rating. How can I learn its status before applying for a loan?
- I understand that I can write off the interest on an RV like it were a second home. Is this true?
- Im thinking of registering my new motorhome in Oregon because I hear the tags are cheaper there than where I live. Is this a good idea?
- How much of a price reduction can I negotiate with an RV dealer on a new or used RV?
- I've been told it's a good idea to get an extended warranty for my motorhome. What do you think?
- Which is best for my motorhome, a gas or diesel engine?
- What is a "diesel pusher?"
- Ive heard some RVers call their large motorhomes "Buses." Are their RVs converted buses?
- What gas mileage will I get with a motorhome?
- Is it hard to drive a motorhome? They look so big!
- I notice that some motorhomes do not have a back window. How do you see what is behind you?
- Which RV is best for me, a motorhome, travel trailer, or something else?
- I plan to go fulltime for a year and will probably buy a fifth wheel trailer. What is the minimum size I will need to be comfortable?
- What's a "slideout?"
- Can my family move about the motorhome while Im driving down the highway?
- We dont know what to do with our house and our "stuff" when we go fulltime. What do other fulltimers do?
- When we tell our friends we are going fulltime, they tell us we are nuts. Our kids think we have lost our marbles. Are we really crazy to even consider traveling fulltime in an RV?
- I have a small truck. Can I pull a fifth wheel trailer?
- Where can I find information about tow vehicles?
- Is it a good idea to rent a motorhome before buying one?
- I want to take my large family on an RV trip, and am interested in renting a large Class A motorhome rather than a Class C which seems to be the standard rental unit. Can you recommend a good place?
- I am thinking of buying a motorhome in Canada. I have heard that I can save a lot of money by buying an RV there because of the dollar difference right now. Is this true?
- Why is it that two RVs of the same size, with basically the same features and amenities, can be so different in price?
- My wife and I are considering buying a Class C motorhome but are concerned about getting in and out of the cabover bunk? What do you think?
- How many people do RVs sleep?
- How can a Class C motorhome sleep six people? I read the ads, but cant figure out where everyone would sleep.
- Do RVs come with bunk beds?
- How fast can I drive a motorhome?
- Where do I register an RV?
- Whats the different between driving a motorhome and driving a car?
- My husband I want to travel full time in a RV, but I am multiple chemical sensitive and cannot tolerate strong scents. Does the smell of the propane or smoke from campfires get inside the RV?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of a wide body RV?
- Is it true that you cannot drive long motorhomes in certain states?
- I carry AAA Emergency Road Service on my car. Will this also cover emergency towing on my motorhome?
- How can I tell if there are any recalls on a motorhome I'm considering buying?
- What kitchen appliances come in RVs?
- What unusual amenities might I find in an RV?
- Can I pull a travel trailer with my family car?
- Can I buy a four-wheel-drive motorhome?
- Is there a consumer guide that rates RVs?
- What if my motorhome has mechanical problems on the road? Is it easy to find a repair shop?
- Name two things I can do to help my RV live longer.
- Is it easy to find campgrounds?
- What do you mean by "primitive campsites?"
- What are membership campgrounds?
- Are reservations necessary at public campgrounds?
- How much do campsites at campgrounds cost?
- Do all campsites at a commercial campground cost the same?
- How long am I allowed to stay in a campground?
- I have heard that some campgrounds will not allow old and ugly RVs to camp there. Is this true?
- I camp a lot. Do you have any tips about how I can save money at private campgrounds?
- Where is the best source for locating free campgrounds?
- Are campgrounds safe?
- Do campgrounds have restrooms with showers?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of a private campground over a public one?
- Whats the difference between a private RV park and a commercial RV park?
- Can I pick my own campsite at a campground or is it picked for me?
- What about spending the night at rest areas?
- I've heard you can stay the night in Wal-Mart parking lots and similar places. Is this true?
- I own a folding camping trailer. Can I stay in it in a Wal-Mart parking lot?
- How does an RV camping vacation compare with one taken by car?
- I am on a very tight budget. Does this mean RVing is not for me?
- What are the best guides to campgrounds?
- What does it mean when a campground has "full hookups?"
- How much power can I use when hooked up to electricity?
- Can I blow a fuse in my RV like at home?
- What are "pull-thru" campsites?
- Do campgrounds have general stores?
- What does the term "boondocking" mean?
- I like the idea of boondocking but I wonder how I would get along without being able to plug in my electrical appliances.
- We plan to travel by motorhome, but we wont pull a car ,which will limit our traveling in the evening after we pull into a campground. Will we get bored?
- Where can I camp for free in Arizona?
- I have heard that some RV parks do not allow children. Is this true?
- How do I put fresh water in my RV?
- Will a regular garden hose work?
- Should I turn on the water faucet all the way?
- Where can I fill up with fresh water when Im not able to hook up?
- How do I use the water pump?
- When traveling state to state in an RV, do I have to stop at truck weigh stations or have any particular papers with me?
- Is there anything I need to know about using the stove in my RV?
- How do I light a RVs stove?
- My husband and I get along great, but I wonder how we would do in a confined space if we went full-time.
- My wife and I have two children, both in elementary school. We really want to RV full time, but wonder if its feasible to homeschool our kids.
- Can I use an RV in the winter?
- Do RVs have both cold and hot water?
- Do I need to be hooked up to electricity for my RV's refrigerator to work?
- Should I run my RVs refrigerator all the time?
- I've heard that my RV must be level for the refrigerator to work. Is this true?
- Can I leave my RVs refrigerator running on propane while traveling?
- How will I know if my propane tank is leaking?
- What should I do with my refrigerator when I am not using my motorhome?
- Can I use an electric blanket on my bed?
- I'd like to travel and earn some money along the way? How can I learn more about this?
- Whats a camp host?
- I have heard about jobs where you drive motorhomes from the factory to the dealer and get paid. Is this true? Is it easy to get these jobs?
- I have a business that I'd like to take on the road, but I wonder about working space in my RV.
- Is it really feasible to retire in an RV?
- My husband and I are retired. He wants to sell the house, buy a big fifth wheel trailer and travel in it fulltime. I enjoyed our short camping trips years ago with our children, but am scared to death about traveling full time. So were having some pretty heated discussions. Hes halfway out the door, but Im dragging my feet. Do you have any advice?
- I'm single. I wonder if it would get lonely traveling by myself.
- I'm a single woman and am a bit worried about traveling by myself. Do you have any suggestions or words of encouragement?
- Can I carry a firearm with me in my RV?
- My husband and I plan to go full-time. We enjoy several TV programs and don't want to miss them. What should we do?
- I love the Internet. How can I get e-mail and browse the World Wide Web while on the road full-time?
- Where can I find a directory of campgrounds where I can plug in my computer to a modem?
- What do I do about power when my RV is not plugged into an electric outlet?
- I know its illegal in most states to have an unopened bottle of liquor open in a motor vehicle. Is this true in my motorhome?
- How do RV toilets work?
- Do I need special toilet paper?
- Do I need to put chemicals in my toilet?
- How do you dump an RV's waste tanks?
- But how do I actually dump the tanks?
- Should I wear gloves while dumping the holding tanks?
- Is it okay to just pull off in the desert to dump the holding tanks?
- When I am hooked up to a sewer should I open both holding tanks?
- Ive noticed that most commercial campgrounds that offer full hookups, which include sewer, also have a dump station. Why would they have a dump station if the sites have their own sewer connections? Do you have to dump the toilet water in one place and the dish and shower water at the other?
- How do I get access to my bank accounts while on the road?
- Are travelers checks a good idea?
- What is the best way to make long distance phone calls?
- What is a deep cell battery?
- How to you level an RV when a campsite is not level?
- Are RVs expensive to maintain?
- Where should I get insurance for my RV?
- Is RV insurance expensive?
- In terms of dealing with an emergency while traveling, which is best, a CB or a cell phone?
- How do you take a shower in an RV?
- Why would I want to equip my RV with a generator?
- How does the heater work in an RV?
- What should I do if I somehow drain my motorhomes deep cell batteries? How will I start the engine of my motorhome?
- What's a power inverter?
- Where is the propane tank located on an RV and how and where do you fill up?
- How long will a tank of propane last?
- What about getting mail while on the road?
- How about getting phone messages while on the road?
- Is traveling with a pet a good idea?
- We plan to go fulltime and will stay in RV parks for long stretches at a time. Is there a way to get a phone installed in our coach during these stays?
- My wife has a physical disability that makes it hard for her to get around in most RVs. Are there are any RVs made especially for people who are physically challenged?
- Do I need an awning for my rig?
- I see RVs with solar panels. Why?
- Im an avid fisherman, and plan to travel in my new motorhome throughout the United States. Is there a national fishing license?
- Do I need a special license to drive a motorhome?
- Can I park my motorhome in front of my home when I'm not traveling?
- Where else could I keep my RV if I cant keep it on the street or in my driveway?
- I keep hearing RVers talk about the Slabs. What is it?
- I also hear a lot about a place called Quartzsite in Arizona. What's there?
- Is there one really good source of RVing information for a new RVer?
ORDER THE PRINTED BOOK
Order the Adobe Acrobat download for only $11.95 (Instant download!)
Buying a used RV? Don't buy before reading this eBook. (Instant download!)
Back to the New RVer Main page
Contents copyright 2007 by RVbookstore.com.